Tuesday, October 6, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - RIANNE MOSS, AUTHOR OF SHATTERPROOF!

I've had the pleasure of interviewing the lovely Rianne Moss, writer of Shatterproof
You can read more about Shatterproof here.
Please check out the interview and find out what inspired Rianne to write such a moving story!! 



When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always had a itch to write for as long as I could remember. It wasn’t until I reached my teens where I started to really have a strong interest in writing. In 2014 is when I discovered self-publishing and then that is where my writing went from a hobby to a career in the making. 

How many books have you written?

I have written many novels through the years but one that I finished to completion: edited and published.

What are you currently working on?

I’m currently working on a sequel to my first novel “Shatterproof.”  It takes place 6 years after the events of the first novel. In addition I’m also working on a mystery/thriller which is about a teenage girl who discovers her father isn’t her biological father. She starts searching for answers and what she finds out puts her and her family life in danger.

What inspired you to write Shatterproof?

I watch a lot of reality tv shows, talk shows and documentaries. One night I was watching reruns of the show “Intervention” where I got the idea I wanted to write a novel about addiction. I pondered the idea for a while but felt like something was missing. I was watching an episode of Dr. Phil sexual abuse came up. I debated back and forth on whether to make it an element of the novel.  It such a touchy subject which could offend some people. In the same thought it was one of those issues no one talks about. I felt like it would be a good opportunity to show the issue firsthand, but at the same time tells a story about a real life issue.

Who is your favorite character from Shatterproof?
The main character Natalie is my favorite.  She had been a character I had set aside for many years without a story to go along with her.  This character is complex and if she were an actual person she would be someone I’d admire.  Her struggle throughout the novel and even into the sequel shows someone who has been through a lot, has a lot of courage, strength and vulnerability. I built the rest of my characters around her and what I imagined her life path to go. 

Your book touches on some dark themes such as addiction and abuse. What research did you do to prepare yourself for writing this book?

I did some extensive research on addiction and abuse.  It was difficult because I never had firsthand experience with either or known anyone close who had dealt with this first hand.  I started off my research with watching every episode of “Intervention” which dealt with opiate addiction and intravenous users. I wanted to get a general idea of how these people lived, and learn about their struggles.  Next I went to the internet to search addiction in greater detail: symptoms both physical and psychological looked up other persons struggle with addiction.  The topic of the abuse was a little more difficult to research. Some of the information I gathered was hard to read. A few times I considered changing the topic from sexual abuse to physical abuse but stuck it through.  I did extensive research in PTSD, anxiety disorder, depression, high risk activity as these also played a huge part in the creation of this book.

Why did you choose the grandfather as the abuser?

During the brainstorming stages, I wrote up character profiles for all the major character’s and I just imagined the grandfather to being an asshole. He was always the bad guy so it fit to let him fill the role as the abuser. It wasn’t any special reason except it just fit in with the plot.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I spend time with my spouse and our two children. I’m an avid reader, like to cook, bake and play video games. 

What is the strangest writing habit that you have?

I don’t know if it is strange but I haven’t met anyone who I know writes like this. I always start a novel from the middle of the plot. The beginning is usually the last thing I’ll write.

What advice would you give aspiring writers?

I found one of the most difficult things I’ve encountered with writing is the dreaded “writer’s block.” My advice is to not fight it, and not to give up. Work on something else; come back to it in a week time and re read what you have written.  Nine times out of ten the juices started to flow again.

What book could you read over and over again?

Room by Emma Donoghue:  I’ve read it at least a dozen times and the plot never gets old.

Who would you say has influenced your writing the most?

My family. Writing is an important part of my life. It had been my dream for a long time to be a published writer. After having my children, I made it my goal to fulfill that very dream. I want to teach my children to follow their dreams. 

If you were stranded on a deserted island and you could have ONE character from a book on the island with you, who would it be and why?

I’m a bit bias but I’d choose Natalie because I feel like she is someone I could be friends with. Someone’s life story I would want to know and someone I could learn from. 



To purchase Shatterproof follow these links! 

Amazon (US) | Amazon (CA) | Amazon (UK) 



 photo email_zps1ff7c9ad.png  photo goodreads_zps00371d7e.png  photo twitterbird_zps53a3b02d.png  photo google-Copy_zps49b07d3d.png  photo pinterest_zps2d5df537.png  photo bloglovin_zps87218985.png
Web Analytics